Mountainush – WordPress has some built in features that will greatly help with SEO. This does not grantee that your site will be on the first page of search engine results, but they can play an important role.
- Add html meta tags
- Set permalinks
- Add noindex, follow robots meta tags
- Check & change titles to H1, H2, H3
- Add titles and ALT tags to images
- Verify your site with Google and Yahoo
- Create internal links
- Make your slugs search engine friendly
The above does not include cleaning up your bad code. What I call dirty code slows down your site, and makes it harder for search engines. Depending on what your html looks like it can be labor intensive to go through and clean house making things search engine friendly.